Turmeric benefits – turmeric is a “magical” plant, which has multiple health benefits. Turmeric has a peppery, warm and bitter flavour. It is widely used to make medicine. It is used for arthritis, stomach pain, diarrhea, intestinal gas, loss of appetite, liver problems. It also helps for headaches, cold, fever, and cancer.
There are many studies that show turmeric helping to overcome, fight and prevent many diseases, like for example cancer, lung problems, Alzheimer disease, inflammatory bowel disease or childhood leukemia. This is a super plant!
Below there are some of the most important turmeric benefits:
- Anti-inflammatory remedy -Turmeric contains bioactive compounds called curcuminoids, which provide powerful medicinal properties. The most important curcuminoid is curcumin. Curcumin is the main ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- Improves brain function – Curcumin also boosts levels of the brain hormone (BDNF) , which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in the brain. It is also possible that it could help improve memory.
- Helps prevent cancer – Turmeric has been studied for its role in the treatment and prevention of various types of cancer. Researches say it is a beneficial her in cancer treatment. It can affect cancer growth, development and spread at the molecular level.
- Helps prevent Alzheimer – Because curcumin crosses the blood-brain barrier, research has suggested the brain can also benefit from its anti-inflammatory benefits and can prevent diseases like Alzheimer.
- Fights depression – Studies have shown that curcumin has a potential use in depression treatment by reversing detrimental brain changes that occur in depression. It is known for its potential to boost levels of mood-regulating neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine.
- Boosts immune system – Turmeric has been shown to increase antioxidant capacity and help fight free-radical damage. This is especially good for the immune system.
Turmeric powder is the most common form of turmeric people use. It is normally used in a food, mostly kind of a substitute of a curry. But there are other ways you can use turmeric in your kitchen.
I want to share with you 2 recipes where turmeric is a main ingredient.
Honey and turmeric are one of the best natural remedies. This combination has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anticancer properties. It also has the ability to improve the whole digestion process.
- 1 tsp of grated lemon
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 100 grams of honey
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of black pepper
Photo by Taylor Kiser on Unsplash
Mix the turmeric, apple cider vinegar and black pepper. Then add the lemon zest and honey. Stir all ingredients well until you get a consistent mixture. Place the mixture in a bowl and store it in the fridge.
How to use it?
In order to benefit from this remedy, you need to take 1 tablespoon on a daily basis. To get best results, you should consume it in the morning.
In case you have a cold or any infection, consume this “medicament” more often: 1/2 teaspoon every hour during 2 first days. On 3rd and 4th day, 1/2 teaspoon every two hours. After 4th day, take 1/2 teaspoon 3 times a day. After this you should be able to feel well.
You can simply melt it in your mouth, put it in your tea or just spread the mixture on a slice of bread. Whatever you like.
It is also important to note that after you consume it you should wait several minutes before you drink or eat anything else.
To make the turmeric juice, you should use only fresh ingredients, no powders. However, depending on where you live it might be super hard to get the fresh turmeric. But using the fresh ingredient is highly recommended.
I will show you a combination of super foods that would make this juice an awesome anti-inflammatory remedy.
- 1 apple
- 1 carrot
- peel of 1/2 lemon
- 1 small piece of fresh peeled ginger
- 1 small piece of fresh peeled turmeric. If you don´t have a fresh turmeric, use 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- A pinch of black pepper or chilli powder
Chop all ingredients, add a bit of pepper or chilli and blend in well. Drink in the morning.